Of all the Christmas baking my family does, probably my favorite item are my mom’s Crispy Molasses Sugar Cookies. I don’t know where or when she got this recipe, but I have managed to copy it down onto a battered index card for my own records. Enjoy!
Crispy Molasses Sugar Cookies
- 3/4 c margarine
- 1 c sugar (+ more for rolling)
- 1/4 c molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 c flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Melt margarine in a 3 quart saucepan. Cool
- Add sugar, molasses & egg. Beat well.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to molasses mixture. Mix well.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours.
- Form chilled dough into 1 inch balls. In a shallow bowl, pour out some additional sugar. Roll 1 inch dough balls in sugar and place 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes in a 375° oven.